    SubjectRe: IrDA driver fails on PXA255
    On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:03:03PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
    > The problem certainly isn't being ignored in this thread, or in the patch
    > that I sent to fix Dmitry's issue by default, so that doesn't seem to be
    > the case. What would be ignored, though, is if it just emitted a
    > WARN_ON() without failing the allocation so everything works perfectly.

    Sorry, you did not send a patch to fix it. You sent a *bodge* to enable
    the DMA zone. As long as you insist that's a valid fix, you're going
    to carry zero credibility with me.

    The fact is that this driver should not be using GFP_DMA to allocate
    things which aren't even DMA buffers, and its use of GFP_DMA should be
    removed. But rather than look at that and work it out, and then produce
    a patch to sort that out, the only thing you can do is come up with
    bodge to enable the DMA zone, and continue to insist that's the right
    solution.

    I repeat, enabling the DMA zone for this driver is a pure and utter
    bodge, and the change to make these allocations fail _will_ and _has_
    caused regressions.

    Your whinge that we should re-enable the DMA zone which has been
    disabled for quite a long time now to work around this new restriction
    is extremely idiotic.

    Do the right thing. Make allocations to GFP_DMA zones _warn_ first for
    a cycle so that affected drivers can be fixed. Then for the next cycle,
    make it a hard failure.

      Last update: 2011-05-31 23:03    [W:5.638 / U:0.008 seconds]