    SubjectRe: Linux 3.0-rc1
    On Mon, 30 May 2011, Mariusz Kozlowski wrote:

    > On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 06:47:57PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > [...]
    >> However, I did *not* rename the git tree, because that would just be a
    >> huge inconvenience to git users, so it's still in the same old place
    >> and yes, that means that my git tree is still called "linux-2.6.git"
    >> on But it has the v3.0-rc1 tag in it.
    >> I'll probably add a symlink or something, if people really hate being
    >> reminded about our long history with the "2.6" numbering. But that
    >> won't be until closer to the real release, methinks.
    > You could consider freezing linux-2.6.git repository and creating new
    > linux-3.git repository that would serve for a couple of years until
    > linux-4.git. At the same time development history could be dropped between
    > trees so that inital clones are lighter. Anyone interested in history
    > can download idx/pack from linux-2.6.git repo and attach it using gratf
    > point[1] anyway.
    > Pros:
    > - obvious naming scheme wrt repository contents
    > - smaller initial clone
    > - new clean tag namespace
    > Cons:
    > - broken bisection for some time
    > - impaired log/blame/whatchanged and friends

    in addition won't there be problems merging in work done on the old tree?
    (since there would be no common history)

    everyone would need to re-clone their repository (and attaching history
    wouldn't help this)

    there are probably others.

    frankly I don't see any real benifits from the Pros you list. the initial
    clone is already rather small, it probably won't make that big a
    difference to throw away several years of history.

    David Lang

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-05-31 00:51    [W:0.027 / U:0.120 seconds]