SubjectRe: Linux 3.0-rc1
On Mon, 30 May 2011, Mariusz Kozlowski wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 06:47:57PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> However, I did *not* rename the git tree, because that would just be a
>> huge inconvenience to git users, so it's still in the same old place
>> and yes, that means that my git tree is still called "linux-2.6.git"
>> on kernel.org. But it has the v3.0-rc1 tag in it.
>>
>> I'll probably add a symlink or something, if people really hate being
>> reminded about our long history with the "2.6" numbering. But that
>> won't be until closer to the real release, methinks.
>
> You could consider freezing linux-2.6.git repository and creating new
> linux-3.git repository that would serve for a couple of years until
> linux-4.git. At the same time development history could be dropped between
> trees so that inital clones are lighter. Anyone interested in history
> can download idx/pack from linux-2.6.git repo and attach it using gratf
> point[1] anyway.
>
> Pros:
> - obvious naming scheme wrt repository contents
> - smaller initial clone
> - new clean tag namespace
>
> Cons:
> - broken bisection for some time
> - impaired log/blame/whatchanged and friends

in addition won't there be problems merging in work done on the old tree?
(since there would be no common history)

everyone would need to re-clone their repository (and attaching history
wouldn't help this)

there are probably others.

frankly I don't see any real benifits from the Pros you list. the initial
clone is already rather small, it probably won't make that big a
difference to throw away several years of history.
David Lang

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans