    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL 0/5] perf/urgent fixes

    * Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@infradead.org> wrote:

    > Em Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:41:50AM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
    > > The various variations of kptr_restrict now work fine AFAICS - will
    > > send the fixes to Linus today.
    > >
    > > One (very) small issue i noticed, if the user only samples user-space
    > > events then i still get the warning:
    > >
    > > aldebaran:~> perf record -e cycles:upp sleep 1
    > > WARNING: Kernel address maps (/proc/{kallsyms,modules}) are restricted,
    > >
    > > although perf does not record any kernel samples so kptr_restrict is
    > > irrelevant in this case.
    >
    > I'll have that fixed too, oversight. We really should avoid
    > confusing messages, and this one, as you mention, seems just noise
    > as I still have to look again how vsyscall symbols get resolved,
    > IIRC they need a kernel symtab, but then, if that is the case, the
    > message should be changed accordingly.

    Btw., if you touch that code, would you be interested in adding a
    --user-events kind of option which would have the implicit effect of
    adding :u to every event that is listed (or implied)? (and a
    --kernel-events counterpart, for :k)

    The reason is that right now there's no easy way to run say 'perf
    stat -ddd' but measure userspace events only.

    [ perf record --repeat would be nice as well :-) And a pony! ]

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2011-05-29 16:33    [W:0.031 / U:150.788 seconds]