    SubjectRe: USBIP protocol documentation?
    Németh Márton wrote:
    > matt mooney wrote:
    >> I concur!
    >>
    >>> If it is, then I need to read it in the right way, through it is not an easy task.
    >>> I tried to find the points in the USBIP kernel code where opening, sending,
    >>> receiving and closing of the TCP connection takes place. I took all function names
    >>> from linux/net.h and I found the following places so far:
    >>>
    >>> $ grep -n -E
    >>>
    > 'sock_wake_async|sock_register|sock_unregister|sock_create|sock_create_kern|sock_create_lite|sock_release|sock_sendmsg|sock_recvmsg|sock_map_fd|sockfd_lookup|sockfd_put|net_ratelimit|kernel_sendmsg|kernel_recvmsg|kernel_bind|kernel_listen|kernel_accept|kernel_connect|kernel_getsockname|kernel_getpeername|kernel_getsockopt|kernel_setsockopt|kernel_sendpage|kernel_sock_ioctl|kernel_sock_shutdown|SHUT_'
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/*
    >>>
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/stub_dev.c:201: kernel_sock_shutdown(ud->tcp_socket, SHUT_RDWR);
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/stub_dev.c:216: sock_release(ud->tcp_socket);
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/stub_tx.c:263: ret = kernel_sendmsg(sdev->ud.tcp_socket, &msg,
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/stub_tx.c:338: ret = kernel_sendmsg(sdev->ud.tcp_socket, &msg, iov,
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/usbip_common.c:382: result = kernel_sendmsg(sock, &msg, &iov, 1, size);
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/usbip_common.c:384: result = kernel_recvmsg(sock, &msg, &iov, 1, size,
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_hcd.c:845: kernel_sock_shutdown(ud->tcp_socket, SHUT_RDWR);
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_hcd.c:858: sock_release(vdev->ud.tcp_socket);
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_tx.c:119: ret = kernel_sendmsg(vdev->ud.tcp_socket, &msg, iov, 3, txsize);
    >>> linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_tx.c:189: ret = kernel_sendmsg(vdev->ud.tcp_socket, &msg, iov, 1, txsize);
    >>>
    >>> I guess this is not all, there is also a protocol defined to the user-space world.
    >> Very true, and part of what is taking place is a unification of the userspace
    >> and kernel protocols. Then there will be some degree of documentation. Mainly in
    >> the form of packet diagrams to show on-wire communication.
    >
    > Could you please give some hints witch function names to look for and
    > where to start "reading" the source code to see how the userspace protocol
    > looks like?

    I think I found a good way to "read out" from the source code where the userspace
    communication takes palce:

    $ grep -n DEVICE_ATTR linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/*
    linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/stub_dev.c:85:static DEVICE_ATTR(usbip_status, S_IRUGO, show_status, NULL);
    linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/stub_dev.c:153:static DEVICE_ATTR(usbip_sockfd, S_IWUSR, NULL, store_sockfd);
    linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/usbip_common.c:55:DEVICE_ATTR(usbip_debug, (S_IRUGO | S_IWUSR), show_flag, store_flag);
    linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_sysfs.c:76:static DEVICE_ATTR(status, S_IRUGO, show_status, NULL);
    linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_sysfs.c:132:static DEVICE_ATTR(detach, S_IWUSR, NULL, store_detach);
    linux-2.6/drivers/staging/usbip/vhci_sysfs.c:232:static DEVICE_ATTR(attach, S_IWUSR, NULL, store_attach);

    The DEVICE_ATTR macro is defined in linux/device.h . Its first parameter is used as
    a postfix and this postfix will be added to the dev_attr_ to create variable names.
    In this case the variable names will be dev_attr_usbip_status, dev_attr_usbip_sockfd,
    dev_attr_usbip_debug, dev_attr_status, dev_attr_detach and dev_attr_attach.
    The type of the variables will be struct device_attribute. The struct device_attribute
    is also defined in linux/device.h . It contains a struct attribute, and two fuction
    pointers: one for show and one for store. The struct attribute is defined in
    linux/sysfs.h . Here we see that we have a name and a mode parameter.

    The fist parameter of DEVICE_ATTR macro is also used for the second time. The
    parameter is first stringified (i.e. usbip_status -> "usbip_status") and used to
    initialize the name in the struct attribute.

    The second parameter of DEVICE_ATTR will be used to initialize the mode attrubute.
    The third and fourth parameter is used to initialize the show and store function
    pointers, respectively.

    What is not clear for me is the return value of the store functions. Usually
    the sscanf() function is used to parse the buffer from the userspace. The sscanf()
    function is declared in linux/kernel.h and has int return value. In USBIP code
    the return value is ignored and the count value is used instead. I don't think
    it is a good idea, but I might overseen something (for example trailing whitespaces?).

    I hope writing down of how I understand reading the code will help others
    also so they can understand USBIP easier than me.