SubjectRe: (Short?) merge window reminder
On Tue, 24 May 2011, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> Also, when someone in my lab installs <insert ancient enterprise distro
> here> on a box that's running software I wrote that needs to support
> modern high-speed peripherals, then I can say "What? You seriously
> expect this stuff to work on Linux 2007? Let's install a slightly less
> stable distro from at least 2010." This sounds a lot less nerdy than
> "What? You seriously expect this stuff to work on Linux 2.6.27? Let's
> install a slightly less stable distro that uses at least 2.6.36."

I hate to jump into this excellent example of bike-shedding discussion,
but anyway ...

Your example doesn't really reflect reality.

It's common for older enterprise distributions to gradually incorporate a
lot of backported code (and most importantly new hardware support
code/drivers) while not upgrading the kernel major version. So yes, you
will in reality get 2.6.16 kernel (at least according to uname) with
libata with newer service packs of SLES 10, for example (and you could
find many of those across distributions).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2011-05-25 14:55    [W:0.194 / U:0.740 seconds]