    SubjectRe: [v3 00/39] faster tree-based sysctl implementation
    On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Eric W. Biederman
    <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
    > This patchset looks like it is deserving of some close scrutiny, and
    > not just the high level design overview I have given the previous
    > patches.  This is going to be a busy week for me so I probably won't
    > get through all of the patches for a while.

    I have one more question. The current implementation uses a single
    sysctl_lock to synchronize all changes to the data structures.

    In my algorithm I change a few places to use a per-header read-write
    lock. Even though the code is organized to handle a per-header rwlock,
    the implementation uses a single global rwlock. In v2 I got rid of the
    rwlock and replaced the subdirs/files regular lists with rcu-protected
    lists and that's why I did not bother giving each header a rwlock.

    I have no idea how to use rcu with rbtree. Should I now give each
    header it's own lock to reduce contention?

    I'm asking this because I don't know why the only is a global sysctl
    spin lock, when multiple locks could have been used, each to protect
    it's own domain of values.

    If you'd like to keep locking as simple as possible (to reduce all the
    potential problems brought on by too many locks), or if in general
    contention is low enough, then global lock is better. If not, then
    I'll change the code to support per-header rwlocks (increasing the
    ctl_table_header structure size).

    --
     .
    ..: Lucian