SubjectRe: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs
Date
Yes, my kernel compiling / packaging / lilo.conf-writing
script always do this: it makes 3 manners for boot:
normal/grafics, text, initrd; for this it makes an
initrd too. See below. Normally this also works without
any problem. This is necessary if someone want to make an
installer. And just because of this, I compile plenty
things inside vmlinuz , not as modules, because nowadays
people have any kind of devices with touchpad, touchscreen
etc. And, last night, I tested all these boot methods,
but in all attempts happened that error, that it didnt
find the boot device, and then crashs, more strange
because there also is a bootwait option in the command
line (see below) (because nowadays people often have
installed my distro on an usb key, or on an eee pc just
the starter is on the internel flash chip, and the system
with root fs is on an usb harddisk what takes time to be
discovered).

But, now, the 2nd compilation, I made with the slackware
huge configuration. And this works !! It boots normally,
and it also don't crash if unzipping big files. So you
were right, to use a more little config, for find out
better the reason. However, remember, at the end (until
-rc20) also the everythingyes config should work, because
this always was the case, and have to work because
nowadays people have all kinds of computers, laptops,
phones, coffe machines, washmachines etc etc running Linux
and the distro kernel have to run ANYWAY on ANY DEVICE.

That successful slackware huge config is in the middle
between the slackware smp config explained above which
didnt boot, and between my normal everythingyes
configuration which gave plenty problems. So, the
differences to both sides can make it more easy to find
out, a) why the slackware smp config didnt boot at all,
not finding the root fs, and to the other side, why b)
my everythingyes config, which all the time worked (also
on 2.6.34.8), give so many problems with 2.6.39-rcX.

Pls find, enclosed, as the 2nd file, the successful config
which is still running on my computer and didnt crash yet
(entering with slackware huge smp into menuconfig end
going out without changes). Also, as the 3rd file, is the
difference of this to my everythingyes config used for
-git2 to -git4; from tese differences it should be
possible to find better what cause the many problems in
the sense of comparison b) above.

However, I should mention, that this successful config has
a problem with the grafics. On the laptop of my neighbour,
it switched to a wrong text mode where the characters are
little and 3 times on the top of the screen. And on my
computer, I cannot change to the text screen with
CTRL-ALT-F1 etc.

wl

---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru

  Last update: 2011-05-01 20:09    [W:0.070 / U:0.092 seconds]