SubjectRe: KGTP (Linux Kernel debugger and tracer) 20110405 release
From
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 16:19, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 13:54 +0800, Hui Zhu wrote:
>>
>>> This is a good question.
>>>
>>> The KGTP is completely different with KGDB.  It will not supply simple
>>> gdbrsp debug interface to user.  It just supply  interface between the
>>> kernel tracepoint(Now, just support kprobe, will add others later) and
>>> GDB tracepoint function.
>>>
>>> So user can debug and trace Linux kernel with GDB without stop the
>>> Linux Kernel (So the GDB can running on this Kernel).  It is a trace
>>> tools and debug tools.
>>
>> But this isn't really an answer either. Could you extend the existing
>> KGDB infrastructure to provide these features and thereby re-use
>> existing infrastructure to reduce your patch size and code duplication?
>>
>> Jason (the KGDB maintainer) certainly thought there was much possibility
>> there when I spoke to him yesterday.
>>
>> Think of it this way, wouldn't it be much better if there was one tool
>> that could provide the combined feature set of KGDB and KGTP?
>>

> Thanks Peter.  I think it is very good.
>
> Which part do you think kgtp can share with kgdb?

The main realizing of "kgtp" was based on the sub protocol
'Tracepoint-Packets' of 'gdb Remote Serial Protocol'.

http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Tracepoint-Packets.html#Tracepoint-Packets

and kgdb have realized most of gdb remote serial protocols.

thus the protocol 'Tracepoint-Packets' implement of kgtp could share
with kgdb, and the breakpoint handler could follow kgdb's from kprobe,

the offline gdb operate interface(an kernel inside gdbserver for gdb)
could realize a module like "kgdbts" module implement
(linux-2.6/drivers/misc/kgdbts.c).

Thanks,
Dongdong