    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool
    On 04/08/2011 02:20 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > Hi Anthony,
    >
    > On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:00:43AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
    >> An example is ioport_ops. This maps directly to
    >> ioport_{read,write}_table in QEMU. Then you use ioport__register() to
    >> register entries in this table similar register_ioport_{read,write}() in
    >> QEMU.
    >>
    >> The use of a struct is a small improvement but the fundamental design is
    >> flawed because it models a view of hardware where all devices are
    >> directly connected to the CPU. This is not how hardware works at all.
    > Not sure if I've the whole picture on this but I see no answer to your
    > email and I found your remark above the most interesting. This is
    > because I thought the whole point of a native kvm tool was to go all
    > the paravirt way to provide max performance and maybe also depend on
    > vhost as much as possible.

    Yeah, if that's the goal, skip all the mini-BIOS junk and just rely on a
    PV kernel in the guest.

    I think a mini userspace that assumes that we can change the guest
    kernel and avoids having a ton of complexity to do things like CMOS
    emulation would be a really interesting thing to do.

    Regards,

    Anthony Liguori

      Last update: 2011-04-09 01:01    [W:0.031 / U:60.172 seconds]