SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool
On 04/08/2011 02:20 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:00:43AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> An example is ioport_ops. This maps directly to
>> ioport_{read,write}_table in QEMU. Then you use ioport__register() to
>> register entries in this table similar register_ioport_{read,write}() in
>> QEMU.
>>
>> The use of a struct is a small improvement but the fundamental design is
>> flawed because it models a view of hardware where all devices are
>> directly connected to the CPU. This is not how hardware works at all.
> Not sure if I've the whole picture on this but I see no answer to your
> email and I found your remark above the most interesting. This is
> because I thought the whole point of a native kvm tool was to go all
> the paravirt way to provide max performance and maybe also depend on
> vhost as much as possible.

Yeah, if that's the goal, skip all the mini-BIOS junk and just rely on a
PV kernel in the guest.

I think a mini userspace that assumes that we can change the guest
kernel and avoids having a ton of complexity to do things like CMOS
emulation would be a really interesting thing to do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans