    SubjectLink: tags for new submission -- UPDATE
    On 04/07/2011 08:20 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > On 04/07/2011 08:03 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    >>
    >> D'0h ok.. but the scheme would work with any generated msgid, all we
    >> need is to generate one for commits that lack a Link tag and insert it
    >> using the prepare-commit-msg/commit-msg hooks and for the post-commit
    >> hook to recognize it and use that actual msgid.
    >>
    >> The only thing to avoid is msgid collision, but given that MUAs already
    >> have this problem all we need to do is borrow some of their logic.
    >>

    > OK, this doesn't really need any hooks at all (the tip-bot is not a
    > hook). The committer is, and *has to be* responsible for getting the
    > unique string into the Link: tag, through whatever means they feel is
    > appropriate.
    >
    > Based on the previous message, I'm going to modify the bot to recognize
    > the pattern:
    >
    > Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/tip-`ranpwd -l 24`@git.kernel.org
    >
    > ... to override the Message-ID. It seems like the least ugly of a lot
    > of ugly options.

    <<<< IMPORTANT CHANGE >>>>

    Please use the format:

    Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/n/tip-`ranpwd -l 24`@git.kernel.org
    ^

    ... with an "n" for "new" instead of "r" for "reference" instead.

    This allows the bot to distinguish a "new submission" link from a
    *reference* to a message that was created as a result of a new submission!

    -hpa

      Last update: 2011-04-08 21:09    [W:0.037 / U:124.812 seconds]