SubjectRe: KGTP (Linux Kernel debugger and tracer) 20110405 release
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 01:27, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 19:59 +0800, Hui Zhu wrote:
>> KGTP is a realtime and lightweight Linux Kernel GDB debugger and
>> tracer that use Kprobe.
>>
>> It make Linux Kernel supply a GDB remote debug interface. Then GDB in
>> current machine or remote machine(see "Make GDB connect to gtp") can
>> debug Linux through GDB tracepoint without stop the Linux Kernel.
>> And even if the board doesn't have GDB on it and doesn't have
>> interface for remote debug. It can debug the Linux Kernel use offline
>> debug (See "Offline debug").
>
> So this leaves me wondering how this is different from the existing
> KGDB, if its different why its not reusing/extending the existing
> infrastructure.

Hi Peter,

This is a good question.

The KGTP is completely different with KGDB. It will not supply simple
gdbrsp debug interface to user. It just supply interface between the
kernel tracepoint(Now, just support kprobe, will add others later) and
GDB tracepoint function.

So user can debug and trace Linux kernel with GDB without stop the
Linux Kernel (So the GDB can running on this Kernel). It is a trace
tools and debug tools.

Thanks,
Hui

  Last update: 2011-04-06 07:57    [W:0.503 / U:0.124 seconds]