SubjectRe: nonzero write bulk status received: -62
On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, David Newall wrote:

> I'm getting the above error on a recent installation, when printing to a
> USB connected printer, and only the first half of the page is printed.
> Searching Google, I found that this is surprisingly common (I was
> surprised), both using usb parallel converters as well as usb-connected
> printers, and the only suggestion seems to be to change CUPS's device
> URI to parallel:/dev/usb/lpN - it's currently
> usb://OKI%20MICROLINE%20something. (Even though it seems somewhat
> bizarre, I am trying the suggestion, but haven't heard the results yet.)
>
> From UTSLing I see that error 62 is ETIME, but finding the timer
> involved requires getting arms-deep into the USB code.

It isn't a software timer; it is a hardware requirement. ETIME means
the printer failed to acknowledge to a packet sent by the computer
within the required 3-microsecond limit (or whatever the actual value
is -- something like that).

> I found no
> discussion on this, and wonder if I just missed it, or if there really
> is some issue that worth looking at. Something about extended output
> and ETIME makes me think it is worth looking at.
>
> I'd appreciate pointers, either to discussions and solutions that I
> missed, or to places in the code where I might start looking.

You could capture a usbmon trace. See the instructions in the kernel
source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2011-04-05 16:15    [W:0.040 / U:0.152 seconds]