SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.33.8
Hello,

Am 02.04.2011 13:27, schrieb Carsten Emde:

>> I'm using a
>> model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
> This probably is not model 44; is it 26, 30 or 31?

Model 30, stepping 5. HT is enabled.

>> and can confirm some problem with power down, at least in 2.6.38.2.
>> Sometimes I only see the powerdown message but the machine will stay on
>> (and the fan starts getting louder).
>> [..]
>> Maybe it's a totally unrelated problem, but I thought it might be good
>> to mention that I'm having a problem with powerdown in 2.6.38 too.
> Yes, thank you,
>
> Would you mind to completely disable processor frequency scaling and
> check whether the powerdown problem goes away on your system as well? I
> do not know which distro you are using, but on some systems "chkconfig
> cpuspeed off; reboot" would do the job. When the system then reboots,
> "halt" should correctly power off the system.

I'm currently using F13, always with the latest stable vanilla kernel
from kernel.org. No cpufreq-daemons or similiar are involved, just the
governor "ondemand".

In regard to more detailed testing I can't say when I will find the time
to do that. I'm using this machine regulary and the problem occurs only
seldom (maybe 1 out of 5 shutdowns). So git bisect or similiar generic
tests aren't very practical.

I will try to add some print statements, I assume
native_machine_power_off() and stuff afterwards are the candidates where
to do that.

Regards,

Alexander

  Last update: 2011-04-04 11:23    [W:0.040 / U:0.572 seconds]