SubjectRe: Allow setting of number of raw devices as a module parameter
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 05:07:04PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 04:28:17PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 00:24:29 +0200
> > Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
> >
> > > Allow setting of maximal number of raw devices as a module parameter. This
> > > requires changing of static array into a vmalloced one (the array is going to
> > > be too large for kmalloc).
> > >

> > Changelog failed to describe why the patch is needed. Lacking that
> > information, we have no reason to apply it.
>
> Good point, how about:
> People like running their machines with thousands of raw
> devices, yet distros don't want to take up that much memory for
> all users. Provide a way for everyone to be happy without
> forcing the module to be rebuilt by providing the ability to
> specify the number of raw devices as a module parameter option.

I remember when this was made a config option, thinking "8192 raw devices?
who would need that many?". I have to wonder just how someone manages
a system with an insane number of these devices.

Dave

  Last update: 2011-04-30 07:13    [W:0.569 / U:0.040 seconds]