SubjectRe: Soft lockup during suspend since ~2.6.36
Date
On Sunday 03 April 2011, Thilo-Alexander Ginkel wrote:
> Transcript:
> | RIP: _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore
> | Call Stack:
> | _set_cpus_allowed_ptr
> | worker_maybe_bind_and_lock
> | rescuer_thread
> | rescuer_thread
> | kernel_thread_helper
> | kthread
> | kernel_thread_helper
> | kthread
>
> After some more time, the following backtrace is printed:
> https://secure.tgbyte.de/dropbox/ueph3Ohm-3.jpg
>
> Transcript:
> | RIP: worker_maybe_bind_and_lock
> | Call Stack:
> | rescuer_thread
> | rescuer_thread
> | kernel_thread_helper
> | kthread
> | kernel_thread_helper
> | kthread
>
> From then on these two backtraces are printed in an alternating fashion.
>
> Unfortunately, the top of the output is missing as it does not fit on
> screen (does someone know an even smaller console font?), but I assume
> it's the deadlock detection.

The interesting thing is that the backtrace is from unlock, not from lock,
so it can't really be a deadlock. However, the _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore
function calls debug_spin_unlock(), which does a few sanity check. Maybe
one of those got triggered.

The easiest way to get the full output is usually to attach a serial
NULL modem cable and redirect the console to that, so you can get the
output on another machine. Another idea would be to modify the
show_registers function in arch/x86/kernel/dumpstack_64.c so that
it prints less data.

Yet another idea would be to set /sys/kernel/printk_delay so that the
oops gets printed slower.

Arnd

  Last update: 2011-04-04 05:05    [W:0.138 / U:0.096 seconds]