    SubjectRe: Make RCU dcache work with CONFIG_SECURITY=y
    On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:26:09AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Andi Kleen <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I didn't find good test suites for the security modules, so
    > > there wasn't a lot of testing on this unfortunately
    > > (the selinux one for LTP doesn't seem to work). Some close
    > > review of these changes is needed.
    > >
    > > On the other hand the VFS changes itself are very straight forward
    > > and the 1/1 patch is very straight forward (and a win in itself)
    > >
    > > The bottom line is with this patchkit a CONFIG_SECURITY=y
    > > kernel has as good VFS performance as a kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY
    > > disabled.
    > Gaah. My immediate reaction to the patch-series was "This is great, I
    > was really hoping we could get all those annoying cases sorted out,
    > and I'll queue them for the next merge window".
    > Having then actually read through the patches a bit more, I then got
    > convinced that at least the first patch should probably be applied
    > right away and be marked for stable, since it looks pretty damn
    > obvious to me, and it might already on its own fix the performance
    > regression for some configurations (although realistically I guess few
    > enough people really do the "selinux=0" thing, so the big advantage is
    > making easier to backport the other patches later if we don't do them
    > now).

    Yes I agree. The first patch is (nearly) a no-brainer and already
    has significant benefits. I would like to see it in .39.

    > Comments? I'd really like to see/hear feedback like "yeah, this looks
    > really obviously safe" vs "yeah, looks good, but I really don't feel
    > very comfortable with it" from the security people.

    Especially SMACK review is needed. Or maybe selinux only for now,
    already got one ack for that.

    (BTW I have some doubts on the locking in smack in general,
    but that's a separate issue -- see other thread)

    -- -- Speaking for myself only.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-04-22 23:19    [W:0.021 / U:18.076 seconds]