2011/4/21 Murali K. Vemuri <vemuri.muralikrishna@gmail.com>:
> 2011/4/21 Pei Lin <telent997@gmail.com>:

>>> Thanks a lot for the inputs. this is the read function I have:
>>> (What I am trying to do is read register E6 of my device, the
>>> register width is 16 bits.).
>>>
>>> static struct spi_device * my_SPI_DEV; (this is populated in the probe function)
>>>
>>> static int myDEV_read(u8 * buf, u16 len)
>>> {
>>> int err;
>>> err = spi_read(my_SPI_DEV, buf, len);
>>> return err;
>>> }
>>> static int read_e6()
>>> {
>>> u8 buf[3];
>>> int err;
>>> buf[0] = 0xe6;
>>> buf[1] = 0x00;
>>> buf[2] = 0x00;
>>> err = myDEV_read(buf, 3);
>>> printk(KERN_ERR "myDEV read returned: %d\n",err);
>>> return err;
>>> }
>>>
>>> Now, this function read_e6() is called from the ISR I mentioned above.
>>>

>> spi_read will call spi_sync and this call may only be used from a
>> context that may sleep. The sleep
>> is non-interruptible, and has no timeout. should use in
>> non-interruptable context.
>> you should put the spi_read on context which can sleep, as bottom half
>> "work queue"
>> Or use spi_async interface.
>>
> I added "workqueue", and got the same result. Also, I used "tasklet"
> and got the same result.
> spi_async does not seem to be working for me, returning EINVAL (-22).
> spi_sync() seem to be returning 0 (supposed to be success) but no data
> coming out ... still investigating why ZEROS are returned instead of
> valid data.
>
> if you have any suggestions, please let me know.
>
> Murali
>>
>>> 90% of time, the read returns "-5" (I/O Error) and about 10% time it
>>> gets "0". However I added a little hexdump to check the content in
>>> case the return value is "0". The register content is always "0".
>>>
>>> Please let me know if I am doing any mistake.
>>> Thanks & regards
>>> Murali
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Best Regards
>> Lin

Okay, finally dug about and found that My chip was expecting the read
command in different style and I am sending in different style.
my spi_read() has to send only one byte (the register address ) on the
SIMO line and expect 2 bytes on the SOMI line.
I used a load of debug prints to find that my code (as below) is
providing the two bytes of space on SIMO line itself. So, what changes
are needed in this code to read correctly?

static struct spi_device * my_SPI_DEV; (this is populated in the probe function)

static int myDEV_read(u8 * buf, u16 len)
{
int err;
err = spi_read(my_SPI_DEV, buf, len);
return err;
}
static int read_e6()
{
u8 buf[3];
int err;
buf[0] = 0xe6;
buf[1] = 0x00;
buf[2] = 0x00;
err = myDEV_read(buf, 3);
printk(KERN_ERR "myDEV read returned: %d\n",err);
return err;
}

Thanks in advance
Murali