SubjectRe: x86: tsc: v2 make TSC calibration more immune to interrupts
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:22:19PM +0200, Kasper Pedersen wrote:
> When a SMI or plain interrupt occurs during the delayed part
> of TSC calibration, and the SMI/irq handler is good and fast
> so that is does not exceed SMI_TRESHOLD, tsc_khz can be a bit
> off (10-30ppm).
>
> We should not depend on interrupts being longer than 50000
> clocks, so, in the refined calibration, always do the 5
> tries, and use the best sample we get.
>
> This should work always for any four periodic or rate-limited
> interrupt sources. If we get 5 interrupts with 500ns gaps in
> a row, behaviour should be as without this patch.
>
> It is safe to use the first value that passes SMI_TRESHOLD
> for the initial calibration: As long as tsc_khz is above
> 100MHz, SMI_TRESHOLD represents less than 1% of error.
>
> The 8 additional samples costs us 28 microseconds in startup
> time.
>
> measurements:
> On a 700MHz P3 I see t2-t1=~22000, and 31ppm error.
> A Core2 is similar: http://n1.taur.dk/tscdeviat.png
> (while mostly t2-t1=~1000, in about 1 of 3000 tests
> I see t2-t1=~20000 for both machines.)
> vmware ESX4 has t2-t1=~8000 and up.
>
> v2: John Stulz suggested limiting best uncertainty to
> where it is needed, saving ~170usec startup time.

Have you considered disabling interrupts while calibrating? That would
ensure that you only have to care about SMIs, not arbitrary interrupts.

Also, on more recent x86 systems you could look at MSR_SMI_COUNT (MSR
0x34) to detect if any SMIs have occurred during the sample period.
rdmsr, start sample period, stop sample period, rdmsr, if delta of 0
then no SMIs occurred. Exists on Nehalem and newer, at least.

- Josh Triplett

  Last update: 2011-04-21 00:43    [W:1.239 / U:0.212 seconds]