    SubjectRe: mm: convert vma->vm_flags to 64bit
    On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

    > Benjamin, Hugh, I hope to add your S-O-B to this one because you are original author.
    > Can I do?

    Well, now you've fixed the mm/fremap.c omission, you're welcome to my
    Acked-by: Hugh Dickins <hughd@google.com>

    I happen not to shared Ben's aversion to unsigned long long, I just
    don't really care one way or another on that; but I do get irritated by
    obfuscatory types which we then have to cast or unfold all over the place,
    I don't know if vm_flags_t would have been in that category or not.

    You've made a few different choices than I did, okay: the only place
    where it might be worth disagreeing with you, is on mm->def_flags:
    I would rather make that an unsigned int than an unsigned long long,
    to save 4 bytes on 64-bit (if it were moved) rather than waste 4 bytes
    on 32-bit - in the unlikely event that someone adds a high VM_flag to
    def_flags, I'd rather hope they would test its effect. However,
    it's every mm not every vma, so maybe not worth worrying about.

    I am surprised that
    #define VM_EXEC 0x00000004ULL
    does not cause trouble for arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c,
    but you tried cross-building it which I never did.

    Does your later addition of __nocast on vm_flags not make trouble
    for the unsigned long casts in arch/arm/include/asm/cacheflush.h?
    (And if it does not, then just what does __nocast do?)

    Thanks for seeing this through,
    Hugh

      Last update: 2011-04-18 02:35    [W:0.030 / U:58.528 seconds]