    SubjectRe: Queuing of disk writes
    > the kernel's write cache, and then consequently the disk drive's DMA queue. As
    > a result of that, the harddrive can pick the correct order to do these writes,
    > significantly reducing seek times.

    Well that depends a lot on the data, if its very scattered and random it
    may not help much.

    > And yes, I *know* fsync is a poor method to determine if data is actually
    > committed to something non-volatile. :)

    fsync/fdatasync should at least make sure it hit the disk. If barriers
    are enabled the rest too.

    What file system are you using - some of the file systems have serious
    limits in this are around fsync and ordering and you may be hitting those.

    The ultima answer is probably an SSD of course 8)

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-04-01 22:13    [W:0.045 / U:61.936 seconds]