SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] omap changes for v2.6.39 merge window
(dropping people from cc, as this is getting quite DSS spesific)

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 13:22 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 01 April 2011, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 17:23 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > > * The DSS display drivers introduce new infrastructure include new bus
> > > types that have the complexity to make them completely generic, but
> > > in practice can only work on OMAP, and are clearly not written with
> > > cross-vendor abstractions in mind.
> >
> > If you mean the panel drivers, then I disagree. They are currently OMAP
> > specific, but they are designed so that making them generic shouldn't be
> > too difficult. It's been my aim for a long time already to make the
> > panel drivers generic, but I've never had time and it's never been quite
> > clear to me what would be the best way to do that.
> >
> > The core DSS driver is OMAP specific, and while the DSS IP could in
> > theory be used in some other platform, that is not currently the case
> > and I wouldn't want to needlessly start abstracting things for just the
> > sake of abstracting.
>
> Ok, fair enough. I haven't looked at the OMAP DSS code in detail, so
> I apologise if I did it injustice. What I did review is the ST Ericsson
> MCDE code which was written by taking the OMAP code as an example.
>
> The symptom I'm describing is that infrastructure is getting added
> to platform specific code without making clear that it is mean to
> be generic. I.e. the code is hidded away in the drivers/video/omap
> directory, where other people would not go looking for it.
>
> What I would have hoped you to do is to tell the ST Ericsson people
> when they posted their code that they should instead work with you
> to integrate the two implementations. As far as I remember (I may be
> wrong again), that did not happen.

I don't seem to remember seeing anything from ST Ericsson... While my
memory doesn't always serve me well, I would imagine I'd remember if I'd
seen code based on my code.

Ah, found them from fbdev mail archive. I was rather busy at that
period, I didn't really read the mailing lists.

I totally agree with you that we should have a common panel interface
layer. As I said, I've had it as a target for a long time. And hopefully
now that I moved from Nokia to TI I'll finally have time to work on it
also.

Thanks for pointing me to the MCDE stuff. I doesn't seem to be merged,
though. I need to contact them and see if they're still interested in
working on the common interface.

Tomi

  Last update: 2011-04-01 13:57    [W:0.211 / U:0.036 seconds]