    SubjectRe: [patchlet] sched: fix rt throttle runtime borrowing
    On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 17:11 +0800, Yong Zhang wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Mike Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > The RT throttle leaves a bit to be desired as a protection mechanism.
    > > With default settings, the thing won't save your bacon if you start a
    > > single hog as RT on SMP box, or if your normally sane app goes nuts.
    > >
    > > With the below, my box will limp along so I can kill the RT hog. May
    > > not be the best solution, but works for me.. modulo bustage I haven't
    > > noticed yet of course.
    > >
    > > sched: fix rt throttle runtime borrowing
    > >
    > > If allowed to borrow up to rt_period, the throttle has no effect on an out
    > > of control RT task, allowing it to consume 100% CPU indefinitely, blocking
    > > system critical SCHED_NORMAL threads indefinitely.
    >
    > Yep.
    > I think it's helpful.

    Well, it does prevent complete death, but you have to be pretty darn
    attentive to notice that the patient is still technically alive ;-)

    As such, turning borrowing off by default, and making borrowing up to
    within a micron of 100% CPU an opt-in feature likely makes more sense.

    -Mike

      Last update: 2011-03-07 10:35    [W:0.022 / U:60.576 seconds]