SubjectRe: NEC ND-4550A problems reading DVD-R
On 03/04/2011 06:07 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> (cc'ing Jens and James)
>
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:47:41AM -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:
>
>> On 03/01/2011 08:48 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
>>
>>> On 11-03-01 03:01 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
>>> ..

>>> That slow behaviour is not uncommon, especially as drives struggle
>>> to recognize various forms of copy-protected media (DVD-Video).
>>> A longer default, or tuneable timeout, would help.
>>>
>> I agree with Mark, this should be a user tuneable value. My 2006 LG
>> dvd-rw frequently times out
>> trying to identify the media. But after numerous timeout error
>> messages it usually suceeds.
>>
> I don't think it should be a user tunable value. It should be
> something automatic. I mean, how many would know to go some cryptic
> place and increase sr probing timeout?
>
> At the same time, increasing it for other cases is quite unattractive,
> so it probably would be a good idea to only use higher timeout value
> for the TUR right after media presence change event.
>
> Anyone interested in doing it?
>
> Thanks.

I don't see this as being any different than all the other obfuscated
tunable values that already
exists. At least I could google or look around for a tunable and maybe
change it myself instead of having to
patch the source.

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  Last update: 2011-03-06 11:19    [W:0.082 / U:0.308 seconds]