SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] omap changes for v2.6.39 merge window

* Nicolas Pitre <nico@fluxnic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, david@lang.hm wrote:
>
> > back in the early days of the PCs, different systems from different vendors
> > had different bus types, peripherals at different addresses, etc. that didn't
> > make all of those vendors systems different architectures, instead those
> > things were varients of the x86 architecture.
>
> Most of them didn't survive. That really helps.

That's not the point, 99% of the current ARM boards will not 'survive' either,
10-20 years down the road.

I think you missed David's main point: life inevitably went on and few of the
old x86 hardware 'survived' physically, but past hardware versions have not
littered the kernel source with half a million lines of source code in the
process ...

Having strong, effective platform abstractions inside the kernel really helps
even if the hardware space itself is inevitably fragmented: both powerpc and
x86 has shown that. Until you realize and appreciate that you really have not
understood the problem i think.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2011-03-31 10:09    [W:0.159 / U:0.144 seconds]