SubjectRe: SDHCI: Ricoh [1180:e823] unable to mount MMC cards.
 On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:33:19 -0400, Chris Ball <cjb@laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Manoj,
>
> On Thu, Mar 31 2011, Manoj wrote:
>> Card did not mount. New dmesg is attached.
>
> Okay. There's nothing in the log about Ricoh, which probably means
> that
> it bailed out early in the function. You could add a printk to the
> top
> of ricoh_mmc_fixup_rl5c476() if you want to be really sure that the
> code
> there is getting a chance to run.
>
> I think the likely conclusion is that:
>
> (a) The Ricoh controller has a proprietary MMC function that is
> stealing
> MMC cards away from the SDHCI controller even though the SDHCI
> could
> read them if it had a chance to.
>
> (b) We don't know how to turn the MMC controller off, because our old
> method for doing so isn't working on this new 0xe823 model.
>
> I'm adding a few people who've touched this code to CC: in case they
> have any ideas on working out how to disable the MMC function. If
> you
> have contact with Ricoh directly or through a vendor, please ask them
> for the PCI configuration writes needed to disable the MMC function
> on
> this model so that you can read MMC cards with the SD interface
> instead.

For what it's worth, I previously investigated a Dell e6400 with an
0x822
and an 0x823 and even without the MMC function disabled, the SD
function
would get the SD card. The machine I currently have access to just has
the 0x822 function so I doubt it can be used to prove anything.

I was under the impression they'd changed the priority of the
controllers
(and probably requiring the MMC driver to set a flag to make it steal
cards)

--phil

  Last update: 2011-03-31 21:17    [W:0.035 / U:0.416 seconds]