    SubjectRe: [RFC] st_nlink after rmdir() and rename()
    On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:57:02PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
    > * inotify is broken for filesystems that don't get you zero ->i_nlink
    > when the last dentry pointing to doomed inode is dropped. Regardless of what
    > you get in fstat(). Excusable for remote fs, but not nice for local ones.
    > I'd *LOVE* to get rid of inotife/dnotify/etc., but it's probably not feasible
    > now.
    > * NFS is not hard to handle, actually, especially for directories.
    > Regular files may be trickier, but then we have many places in that area
    > where NFS is not quite POSIX-compliant, to put it mildly.

    To clarify: I don't particulary _care_ if NFS breaks something like inotify,
    as long as it can't be used to do nasty things to kernel itself. And I'm
    not at all sure if I care about st_nlink there at all, directory or
    non-directory. Again, NFS has enough weirdness wrt opened-but-unlinked
    files anyway and will remain weird by design.

      Last update: 2011-03-04 00:09    [W:3.296 / U:0.020 seconds]