SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3] Implementation of cgroup isolation
Michal,
Maybe what we need here is some kind of trade-off?
Let's say a new configuable parameter reserve_limit, for the cgroups
which want to
have some guarantee in the memory resource, we have:

limit_in_bytes > soft_limit > reserve_limit

MEM[limit_in_bytes..soft_limit] are the bytes that I'm willing to contribute
to the others if they are short of memory.

MEM[soft_limit..reserve_limit] are the bytes that I can afford if the others
are still eager for memory after I gave them MEM[limit_in_bytes..soft_limit].

MEM[reserve_limit..0] are the bytes which is a must for me to guarantee QoS.
Nobody is allowed to steal them.

And reserve_limit is 0 by default for the cgroups who don't care about Qos.

Then the reclaim path also needs some changes, i.e, balance_pgdat():
1) call mem_cgroup_soft_limit_reclaim(), if nr_reclaimed is meet, goto finish.
2) shrink the global LRU list, and skip the pages which belong to the cgroup
who have set a reserve_limit. if nr_reclaimed is meet, goto finish.
3) shrink the cgroups who have set a reserve_limit, and leave them with only
the reserve_limit bytes they need. if nr_reclaimed is meet, goto finish.
4) OOM

Does it make sense?

Thanks,
Zhu Yanhai