    SubjectRe: TPM chip prevents machine from suspending
    On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:25:01 -0400
    Stefan Berger <> wrote:

    > >> Another possibility would be for you to check for BIOS updates from the
    > >> laptop manufacturer...
    > >>
    > > This is actually a desktop machine and the BIOS for the motherboard is
    > > at the latest version, though it is quite old -- 2007/09/01. For the
    > > record this is a:
    > >
    > > Foxconn 6150BK8MC
    > >
    > > I'm actually not using the TPM in this thing at all. I'd be just as
    > > happy if there were some way to disable it. Unfortunately, the option
    > > in the BIOS to do this doesn't seem to actually work. When I set "TPM
    > > Control" in the BIOS to "Disable" it always ends up reset back to "No
    > > Change". I'd report both problems to the mfr, but this thing is long
    > > out of warranty and I'm pretty sure they won't care.
    > >
    > > Is there some way short of recompiling with CONFIG_TCG_* turned off
    > > to disable the TPM driver at boot time?
    > >
    > As far as I know, 'no'. I'd defer it to the maintainers as to how they
    > would want to solve your particular problem... either by using above
    > work-around, which would be more transparent, or actively having to turn
    > the driver off with a command line parameter.

    I'm fine with leaving it enabled as long as it doesn't get in the way
    of suspend working. The scheme you mention above -- test the chip and
    conditionally do a TPM_Startup() seems reasonable to me. Let me know if
    you need me to test a patch...

    Jeff Layton <>

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-29 14:33    [W:0.020 / U:4.220 seconds]