    Subject[RFC/RFT 0/6] nommu: improve the vma list handling
    Date
    Hello,

    When I was reading nommu code, I found that it handles the vma list/tree in
    an unusual way. IIUC, because there can be more than one identical/overrapped
    vmas in the list/tree, it sorts the tree more strictly and does a linear
    search on the tree. But it doesn't applied to the list (i.e. the list could
    be constructed in a different order than the tree so that we can't use the
    list when finding the first vma in that order).

    Since inserting/sorting a vma in the tree and link is done at the same time,
    we can easily construct both of them in the same order. And linear searching
    on the tree could be more costly than doing it on the list, it can be
    converted to use the list.

    Also, after the commit 297c5eee3724 ("mm: make the vma list be doubly linked")
    made the list be doubly linked, there were a couple of code need to be fixed
    to construct the list properly.

    Patch 1/6 is a preparation. It maintains the list sorted same as the tree and
    construct doubly-linked list properly. Patch 2/6 is a simple optimization for
    the vma deletion. Patch 3/6 and 4/6 convert tree traversal to list traversal
    and the rest are simple fixes and cleanups.

    Note that I don't have a system to test on, so these are *totally untested*
    patches. There could be some basic errors in the code. In that case, please
    kindly let me know. :)

    Anyway, I just compiled them on my x86_64 desktop using this command:

    make mm/nommu.o

    (Of course this required few of dirty-fixes to proceed)

    Also note that these are on top of v2.6.38.

    Any comments are welcome.

    Thanks.

    ---
    Namhyung Kim (6):
    nommu: sort mm->mmap list properly
    nommu: don't scan the vma list when deleting
    nommu: find vma using the sorted vma list
    nommu: check the vma list when unmapping file-mapped vma
    nommu: fix a potential memory leak in do_mmap_private()
    nommu: fix a compile warning in do_mmap_pgoff()

    1.7.4

      Last update: 2011-03-28 15:59    [W:0.024 / U:30.860 seconds]