    SubjectRe: Tests for cpusets and cgroup performance measurement
    Hello Paul,

    On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Paul Menage <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Jaswinder Singh
    > <> wrote:
    >> Can you please suggest some simple tests to measure the performance
    >> enhancement by using cpusets/cgroups.
    > The cgroups framework is simply a way of grouping processes together
    > and allowing subsystems (memory, CPU, disk I/O, etc) to associate
    > state objects with each group. Generally this is for improving
    > isolation rather than improving performance - sticking extra machinery
    > and scheduling in will typically reduce overall throughput, but make
    > it more practical to share resources safely between multiple groups of
    > processes.
    > Your question is pretty open-ended - what's your ultimate goal? You
    > should probably be focusing on some particular problem that you're
    > trying to measure/improve via resource isolation/scheduling.

    As per :

    Under section 3.5.4 Cpuset advantages / disadvantages

    "Jobs on larger NUMA systems may see a performance boost if jobs can be
    intelligently assigned to specific CPUs. Jobs may perform better if
    striped across physical processors, or contained within the fewest
    number of memory controllers."

    I am curious and want to try some simple tests so that I can see the
    performance improvement by using cpusets on my PCs.

    Can you suggest some tests so that I can study them.

    Thank you,
    Jaswinder Singh.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-23 06:45    [W:0.029 / U:1.280 seconds]