SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been released for FEBRUARY 2011.
Date
On Wednesday, March 02, 2011 14:45:38 Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Subrata Modak
>
> <subrata@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 13:06 +0100, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:

> >> Wouldn't make sense to integrate this test suite in the kernel source
> >> tree?
> >
> > There was discussion like this some few years back. The idea was to get
> > some core tests from LTP to the kernel source tree. But then the idea
> > was dropped probably to avoid maintenance overhead ;-)
>
> Putting LTP in the kernel.org sources really doesn't make sense for
> the following reasons:
>
> 1. LTP isn't really tied to a single kernel release.
> 2. LTP isn't the only test project out there for Linux.
> 3. LTP has more stuff than it needs to have for testing out the kernel
> (well, it did more in the past before I started cleaning it up in the
> past couple of months).
> 4. Maintaining it will become a political bloodbath for both parties
> as Linux is loosely managed by Linus et all, and LTP has been largely
> developed by SGI and maintained by IBM and a few other parties like
> Fujitsu, Nokia, Redhat, etc.
> 5. Integrating LTP into Kbuild, etc would probably be non-trivial due
> to the size of LTP (but it might be easier after the Makefile
> restructuring I did a year and a half ago).

these are all very good reasons. additional points:
- ltp is pretty fsckin huge
- ltp often times tests both sides of the userspace API/ABI -- between the
kernel and the C library, and the C library and end applications
-mike

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans