SubjectRe: Question about driver ioctl, big kernel lock, mutexes
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:06:14PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The block device drivers have all gained new lock_kernel
> > calls from a recent pushdown, and some of the drivers
> > were already using the BKL before.
> >
> > This turns the BKL into a set of per-driver mutexes.
> > Still need to check whether this is safe to do.
> >
> > This changes the behavior of, for example, the CCISS_PASSTHRU and
> > other ioctls. Previously, these were "protected" by the Big
> > Kernel Lock. Now, from what I understand and what I've observed,
> > the Big Kernel Lock is kind of strange, in that it auto-releases
> > whenever you sleep. This means that the ioctl path in cciss used
> > to allow concurrency (which is fine, they should all be thread
> > safe. I'm kind of wondering why the BKL was there in the first
> > place. I guess I assumed it was necessary for reasons having to
> > do with the upper layers.)
>
> The reason to have the BKL there is that the BKL used to protect
> every syscall. The block ioctl handling was simply one of the
> final places to lose it, after it was gone almost everywhere
> else.
>
> Originally (before Linux-1.3!), the only concurrency that was
> going on in the kernel was when one task was sleeping, so it was
> straightforward to add the semantics of the BKL that look so
> strange in retrospect.
>
> > Now, if I understand things correctly, with this new driver specific mutex
> > surrounding the ioctl path, only one thread is permitted in the ioctl path at a
> > time, and whether it sleeps or not, the mutex is not released until it's done.
>
> Yes.
>
> > That's a pretty big change in behavior. Some commands sent through
> > the passthrough ioctls may take awhile, and they're going to block
> > any other ioctls from getting started while they're going. Previously,
> > it was possible to saturate the controller using multiple threads or
> > processes hammering on the ioctl path. This would appear to no longer
> > be the case.
>
> Correct. Almost all ioctls in the kernel are of the "instantly
> return" kind, any ioctl that blocks for a potentially unlimited
> amount of time under a mutex would be a bug that I introduced
> in the conversion.
>
> > That being said, there was previously no real limit (other than
> > pci_alloc_consistent eventually failing) on how many commands
> > could be shoved through the cciss ioctl path at once, which was probably
> > a bug. It has occurred to me to put a limit on this, and return
> > -EBUSY when the limit is hit, though I don't know if programs using
> > the ioctl are prepared to receive EBUSY... but maybe that's not my
> > problem.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > I'm thinking that if there's no reason the ioctl path can't allow
> > concurrency, then it should allow concurrency.
>
> Absolutely. The best way forward would be to prove that the mutex
> I introduced is actually pointless, or alternatively change the code
> so that the mutex is only held in the places where it is really

Pretty sure the ioctl stuff is already thread safe, but I will look at it
again.

There are a couple of other places the mutex is used, open, release, I think
one other place, that I'm less sure about, only because I haven't thought
about them. It should be a safe assumption that nothing outside
the driver depends on these mutexes (obviously, since they're declared
only in the driver) so that should make it pretty easy to figure out.

> When I submitted the patches, I always tried to make it clear that
> most of the new mutexes are not required at all, but that proving
> this for every single driver takes a lot of hard work.
>
> Having a mutex that should not be there causes a performance regression
> or a deadlock, both of which are fairly easy to bisect and fix, but
> missing a mutex because of a subtle BKL dependency would have meant
> introducing a race condition that would be extremely hard to analyse.
>
> Limiting the number of concurrent I/Os submitted to a device might
> be a good idea, but I think that's a separate discussion.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation and confirmation of what I was thinking.
I'll start working on a fix for this. May take me a little while as
there are a bunch of other things I have to work on, but it's been
this way since June of 2010 so far with no complaints (that I know of),
so I guess it won't hurt too much for it to be this way for a little
while longer.

-- steve

  Last update: 2011-03-16 20:49    [W:0.051 / U:0.484 seconds]