    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] radio-maestro broken (conflicts with snd-es1968)
    From
    > At Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:52:39 +0100,
    > Hans Verkuil wrote:
    >>
    >> On Saturday, March 12, 2011 19:19:00 Ondrej Zary wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> > the radio-maestro driver is badly broken. It's intended to drive the
    >> radio on
    >> > MediaForte ESS Maestro-based sound cards with integrated radio (like
    >> > SF64-PCE2-04). But it conflicts with snd_es1968, ALSA driver for the
    >> sound
    >> > chip itself.
    >> >
    >> > If one driver is loaded, the other one does not work - because a
    >> driver is
    >> > already registered for the PCI device (there is only one). This was
    >> probably
    >> > broken by conversion of PCI probing in 2006:
    >> > ttp://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/31/93
    >> >
    >> > How to fix it properly? Include radio functionality in snd-es1968 and
    >> delete
    >> > radio-maestro?
    >>
    >> Interesting. I don't know anyone among the video4linux developers who
    >> has
    >> this hardware, so the radio-maestro driver hasn't been tested in at
    >> least
    >> 6 or 7 years.
    >>
    >> The proper fix would be to do it like the fm801.c alsa driver does: have
    >> the radio functionality as an i2c driver. In fact, it would not surprise
    >> me at all if you could use the tea575x-tuner.c driver (in
    >> sound/i2c/other)
    >> for the es1968 and delete the radio-maestro altogether.
    >
    > I guess simply porting radio-maestro codes into snd-es1968 would work
    > without much hustles, and it's a bit safe way to go for now; smaller
    > changes have less chance for breakage, and as little people seem using
    > this driver, it'd be better to take a safer option, IMO.

    I assume someone has hardware since someone reported this breakage. So try
    to use tuner-tea575x for the es1968. It shouldn't be too difficult.
    Additional cleanup should probably wait until we find a tester for the
    fm801 as well.

    I don't like the idea to duplicate code.

    Regards,

    Hans