    SubjectRe: radio-maestro broken (conflicts with snd-es1968)
    On Saturday, March 12, 2011 19:19:00 Ondrej Zary wrote:
    > Hello,
    > the radio-maestro driver is badly broken. It's intended to drive the radio on
    > MediaForte ESS Maestro-based sound cards with integrated radio (like
    > SF64-PCE2-04). But it conflicts with snd_es1968, ALSA driver for the sound
    > chip itself.
    > If one driver is loaded, the other one does not work - because a driver is
    > already registered for the PCI device (there is only one). This was probably
    > broken by conversion of PCI probing in 2006:
    > ttp://
    > How to fix it properly? Include radio functionality in snd-es1968 and delete
    > radio-maestro?

    Interesting. I don't know anyone among the video4linux developers who has
    this hardware, so the radio-maestro driver hasn't been tested in at least
    6 or 7 years.

    The proper fix would be to do it like the fm801.c alsa driver does: have
    the radio functionality as an i2c driver. In fact, it would not surprise
    me at all if you could use the tea575x-tuner.c driver (in sound/i2c/other)
    for the es1968 and delete the radio-maestro altogether.

    Both are for the tea575x tuner, although radio-maestro seems to have better
    support for the g_tuner operation. It doesn't seem difficult to add that to

    The fm801 code for driving the tea575x is pretty horrible and it should be
    possible to improve that. I suspect that those read/write/mute functions
    really belong in tea575x-tuner.c and that only the low-level gpio actions
    need to be in the fm801/es1968 drivers.

    Hope this helps.

    BTW: if anyone has spare hardware for testing the radio-maestro/tea575x-tuner,
    then I'm interested.

    Hans Verkuil - video4linux developer - sponsored by Cisco

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-12 19:55    [W:0.023 / U:8.776 seconds]