    SubjectRe: RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets
    On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 01:31:13PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

    > I understand the problem, but IMHO there really needs to be a better
    > solution for this. As far as I understand, the underlying problem is
    > that USB ethernet devices with a proper MAC address get a different
    > device name from devices with a generated random MAC address, and
    > the people that designed this board were trying to save a few cents
    > by not allocating a MAC address for the ethernet device [1], right?

    > I believe we should fix this particular problem locally, instead of
    > coming up with generic infrastructure for broken hardware.

    It's arguable if this stuff is broken at all, from a hardware design
    point of view it's perfectly reasonable and if you're shipping volumes
    in the millions very small savings add up to interesting numbers easily.

    > One relatively easy solution would be to allow passing a MAC address
    > to this particular device driver as a module parameter, and generating
    > a fixed MAC address in the regular vendor space when installing the
    > boot loader. That would also solve the problem that a DHCP server
    > currently assigns a new IP address to a panda board at every boot.

    There's other uses for this stuff, it seems to be quite common for
    various radio related things to end up hanging off USB too.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-11 16:31    [W:0.030 / U:1.876 seconds]