    SubjectRe: Performance/resume issues on Toshiba NB305
    On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:17:29PM -0800, Burt Triplett wrote:
    > >The new release detects the Atom processor okay, but in bits-327 the
    > >system resets during the SMI frequency/latency test, whereas it didn't
    > >with bits-316.
    > The SMI Frequency and Latency test should be fixed in bits-329.

    Yes, it's fixed now, thanks.

    > To get more information on how the MSRs differ between CPUs, you can
    > turn on verbose mode. Go to the GRUB command line by hitting 'c',
    > and enter "test_options -v 2". Then hit Esc to go back to the menu,
    > and re-run the MSR consistency check. It will now show you the
    > value of the MSR on each CPU.
    > MSR 0x1a0 is IA32_MISC_ENABLE, and generally any inconsistency in
    > that MSR represents a BIOS bug: it didn't enable features
    > identically on all CPUs. Once you see which bits differ, you can
    > look at the Intel Software Developer's Manual (specifically volume
    > 3B) to find out what those bits mean and which specific features the
    > BIOS inconsistently enabled.

    (MSR 0x1a0 consistent) FAIL (2 different values)
    1 CPUs 0x0000000364950089: 0x0
    1 CPUs 0x0000000364950081: 0x1

    Bit 3: Automatic Thermal Control Circuit Enable

    I'm not sure of the impact of this, since there's really only one core
    in the CPU. One of the others differs has bit 3 inconsistent as well. On
    the third bit 3 is the same but bit 0 (fast-strings enable) is

    The three machines have further differences in this MSR, but all in bits
    documented as being reserved.

    > MSR 0x199 is IA32_PERF_CTL. A difference in that MSR usually means
    > the BIOS left CPUs in different P-states when booting, which it
    > really shouldn't do. Again, you can decode the result with the
    > Intel SDM.

    (MSR 0x199 consistent): FAIL (2 different values)
    1 CPUs 0x0000000000000a1f: 0x0
    1 CPUs 0x0000000000000613: 0x1

    So yes, the cores are in different P-states. The results from the other
    machines are similar, but the values for CPU1 are slightly different for
    each machine. CPU1 has the same value on all three machines.

    > Looking into MSR 0x39.

    Yeah, this one isn't in the SDM at all. Here are the values I got:

    (MSR 0x39 consistent): FAIL (2 different values)
    1 CPUs 0x0000000000000000: 0x0
    1 CPUs 0x0000000000000001: 0x1

    Values are identical for all three machines.

    I'm not really getting the idea that any of these is contributing to the
    problems I'm seeing with this machine though.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-02-28 16:13    [W:0.022 / U:78.864 seconds]