SubjectRe: [RFC] block integrity: Fix write after checksum calculation problem
On Wed 23-02-11 15:35:11, Chris Mason wrote:
> Excerpts from Joel Becker's message of 2011-02-23 15:24:47 -0500:
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:45:44AM -0500, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> > > Also, DIX is only the tip of the iceberg. Many other impending
> > > technologies feature checksums and require pages to be stable during I/O
> > > due to checksumming, encryption and so on.
> > >
> > > The VM is already trying to do the right thing. We just need the
> > > relevant filesystems to catch up.
> >
> > ocfs2 handles stable metadata for its checksums when feeding
> > things to the journal. If we're doing pagecache-based I/O, is the
> > pagecache going to help here for data?
>
> Data is much easier than metadata. All you really need is to wait on
> writeback in file_write, wait on writeback in page_mkwrite, and make
> sure you don't free blocks back to the allocator that are actively under
> IO.
>
> I expect the hard part to be jbd and metadata in ext34.
But JBD already has to do data copy if a buffer is going to be modified
before/while it is written to the journal. So we should alredy do all that
is needed for metadata. I don't say there aren't any bugs as they could be
triggered only by crashing at the wrong moment and observing fs corruption.
But most of the work should be there...

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

  Last update: 2011-02-24 17:51    [W:0.144 / U:1.036 seconds]