SubjectRe: [patch v2 0/3] OProfile support for System z's hardware sampling
Heinz,

On 21.01.11 05:06:51, Heinz Graalfs wrote:
> I'm resending yesterday's mail because I missed to specify the correct sender information.
>
> This is a re-posting of the patch series originally posted last month:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-s390&m=129285043619973&w=2
>
> Heinz
>
> Changes in
>
> v2:
> - kernel module hwsampler removed, everything is now in oprofile kernel module
> - functions from hwsampler-main.c and smpctl.c merged into arch/s390/oprofile/hwsampler.c
> - functions made static
> - arch/s390/include/asm/hwsampler.h moved to arch/s390/oprofile/hwsampler.h
> - structs have now hws_ prefix
> - config variables changed, HAVE_HWSAMPLER used only
> - original patch 4 (handle_munmap.patch) removed

thanks for you patches, I have applied them with modifications to:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rric/oprofile.git s390

For atomic compilation of single patches I changed patch order and the
Makefile where necessary. The branch also includes my follow-on
patches.

I will be travelling the next weeks and wanted to have this series in
linux-next now for later inclusion to .39. We would run out of time
otherwise (my bad). Please review and test the changes I made and send
me possibly updates.

Though I applied the patches I want to have the following changes:

* Merge init.c and hwsampler_file.c, two files are bloated here and
hwsampler_file.c is a bad and too long naming.

* Rework functions in cpu_buffer.c (log_sample,
__oprofile_add_ext_sample, oprofile_add_ext_hw_sample, etc.). All
the (static) functions can be merged to a single functino by
implementing a struct that holds all current function arguments.
Something like:

static void __oprofile_add_ext_sample(struct *foobar fb);
void oprofile_add_sample(struct pt_regs * const regs, unsigned long event)
{
struct foobar fb = { .regs = regs, .event = event };
__oprofile_add_ext_sample(&fb);
}

The naming and description of oprofile_add_ext_hw_sample() is also
not the best. As interface in include/linux/oprofile.h we could then
merge oprofile_add_ext_sample() and oprofile_add_ext_hw_sample() to
a single function.

It would be nice if you could implement this.

For all patches in the oprofile/s390 branch I also need the
s390 maintainer's ack.

Martin or Heiko, please ack.

Thanks,

-Robert

--
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Operating System Research Center

  Last update: 2011-02-14 20:45    [W:0.177 / U:0.308 seconds]