SubjectRe: System lockup with 2.6.38-rc4+
Date
On Monday 14 February 2011, Ben Gamari wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:31:29 +0000, Chris Clayton <chris2553@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not subscribed, so please cc me on any reply.
> >
> > I've just had a complete system lock up with a kernel that I pulled,
> > built and installed yesterday morning. IT was locked hard and I had to
> > power off and on to get it back.
>
> It looks like the GPU barfed. If you SSH'd in to the machine you'd find
> that everything but the display and resources held by the hung X server
> would be fine. Were you doing anything particular in your X session when
> this happened? There's a good chance this isn't actually a kernel bug
> but instead is a DRI client doing something dumb.

I was panning around a google map in firefox. Other than that, I had no other
applications running. I've just done the same thing in 2.6.37 for 10 minutes
with no problems - 2.6.38-rc4+ In fact, I don't recall having this sort of
problem in any previous kernel.

> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
> P.S. The bzipped kernel image generally won't help in diagnosing the
> problem. The most important thing to include in a bug report is the
> kernel version and the dmesg output from the failure if available. Folks
> will ask later if more is necessary.

Note kernel and Xorg logs, plural - i.e. the logs from the /var/log/kernel
and /var/Xorg.log. The kernel version is in the subject.

Thanks,

Chris

--
The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand.
Changing Man - Paul Weller

  Last update: 2011-02-14 20:23    [W:0.040 / U:1.324 seconds]