    SubjectRe: X32 psABI status
    On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 07:13:57AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
    > On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Florian Weimer <> wrote:
    > > * H. J. Lu:

    > >> Please check out the x32 kernel source and provide feedback.
    > >
    > > I still don't understand why you need a separate syscall table.  You
    > > should really be able to run on an unmodified amd64 kernel, in 64 bit
    > That is done on purpose. x32 is designed for environments where the
    > current ia32 API is sufficient. You can think it as ia32 with register
    > extended to 64bit plus 8 more registers. Everything else is still 32bit.

    I think it would be great if you could add some text like this plus some
    rationale (AIUI, this is geared mainly at new Atoms and other x86_64
    embedded platforms) to the document.

    (BTW, it is not really convincing to me that such a niche is worth all
    the trouble this is going to bring.)

    Petr "Pasky" Baudis
    Computer science education cannot make an expert programmer any more
    than studying brushes and pigment can make an expert painter. --esr

      Last update: 2011-02-13 17:49    [W:0.022 / U:18.040 seconds]