    SubjectRe: X32 psABI status
    On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 07:13:57AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
    > On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
    > > * H. J. Lu:

    > >> Please check out the x32 kernel source and provide feedback.
    > >
    > > I still don't understand why you need a separate syscall table.  You
    > > should really be able to run on an unmodified amd64 kernel, in 64 bit
    >
    > That is done on purpose. x32 is designed for environments where the
    > current ia32 API is sufficient. You can think it as ia32 with register
    > extended to 64bit plus 8 more registers. Everything else is still 32bit.

    I think it would be great if you could add some text like this plus some
    rationale (AIUI, this is geared mainly at new Atoms and other x86_64
    embedded platforms) to the document.

    (BTW, it is not really convincing to me that such a niche is worth all
    the trouble this is going to bring.)

    --
    Petr "Pasky" Baudis
    Computer science education cannot make an expert programmer any more