    SubjectRe: [20/80] ALSA: lx6464es - fix device communication via command bus
    On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM, H. Peter Anvin <> wrote:
    > I agree in principle, although I am really not happy about the idea of
    > disallowing 64-bit writes from device drivers that haven't explicitly
    > indicated they won't support it.

    I'd really prefer going in the other direction. Especially since
    64-bit writes would be optional *anyway* (ie impossible on 32-bit
    hosts). So a driver should explicitly say "I can do 64-bit stuff"
    rather than having to say "I cannot do it".

    And if a driver *has* to have 64-bit accesses, it had better do them
    all by hand, using "writeq()" and being dependent on the architecture
    actually having that support. No "memcpy_toio" and friends at all.

    So adding a "memcpy_toio64()" that defaults to the normal 32-bit max
    but *might* do 64-bit copies sounds fine to me. But we really should
    default to something that is consistent across architectures, and that
    is not 64-bit accesses.

    Old PCI setups actually had trouble with 64-bit accesses afaik, and
    would literally get them wrong at a hardware level. I'm sure that's
    not true of anything you can actually plug into a machine that
    actually has a 64-bit x86 in it, but it's an example of actual
    hardware limitations. I'm pretty sure there are 64-bit alpha machines
    that are from that kind of timeframe, to give an example of a natively
    64-bit architecture where a 64-bit write would simply not have worked
    on a hardware level.

    I'd suggest adding a architecture-neutral weak alias from
    memcpy_toio64 to memcpy_toio (and other combinations), and then we can
    independently start using it in drivers and/or start adding it in
    various architectures. That automatically gives us the default
    fallback for architectures that don't care or can't do it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-12-07 19:13    [W:0.021 / U:18.680 seconds]