SubjectRe: [RFC v2 1/2] dma-buf: Introduce dma buffer sharing mechanism
Hi Daniel, Rob,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Rob Clark <rob@ti.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you can do physical migration if you are attached, but
>>> probably not if you are mapped.
>>
>> Yeah, that's very much how I see this, and also why map/unmap (at least
>> for simple users like v4l) should only bracket actual usage. GPU memory
>> managers need to be able to move around buffers while no one is using
>> them.
>>
>> [snip]

>>> My original thinking was that you either need DMABUF_CPU_{PREP,FINI}
>>> ioctls and corresponding dmabuf ops, which userspace is required to
>>> call before / after CPU access.  Or just remove mmap() and do the
>>> mmap() via allocating device and use that device's equivalent
>>> DRM_XYZ_GEM_CPU_{PREP,FINI} or DRM_XYZ_GEM_SET_DOMAIN ioctls.  That
>>> would give you a way to (a) synchronize with gpu/asynchronous
>>> pipeline, (b) synchronize w/ multiple hw devices vs cpu accessing
>>> buffer (ie. wait all devices have dma_buf_unmap_attachment'd).  And
>>> that gives you a convenient place to do cache operations on
>>> noncoherent architecture.
>>>
>>> I sort of preferred having the DMABUF shim because that lets you pass
>>> a buffer around userspace without the receiving code knowing about a
>>> device specific API.  But the problem I eventually came around to: if
>>> your GL stack (or some other userspace component) is batching up
>>> commands before submission to kernel, the buffers you need to wait for
>>> completion might not even be submitted yet.  So from kernel
>>> perspective they are "ready" for cpu access.  Even though in fact they
>>> are not in a consistent state from rendering perspective.  I don't
>>> really know a sane way to deal with that.  Maybe the approach instead
>>> should be a userspace level API (in libkms/libdrm?) to provide
>>> abstraction for userspace access to buffers rather than dealing with
>>> this at the kernel level.
>>
>> Well, there's a reason GL has an explicit flush and extensions for sync
>> objects. It's to support such scenarios where the driver batches up gpu
>> commands before actually submitting them.
>
> Hmm.. what about other non-GL APIs..  maybe vaapi/vdpau or similar?
> (Or something that I haven't thought of.)
>
>> Also, recent gpus have all (or
>> shortly will grow) multiple execution pipelines, so it's also important
>> that you sync up with the right command stream. Syncing up with all of
>> them is generally frowned upon for obvious reasons ;-)
>
> Well, I guess I am happy enough with something that is at least
> functional.  Usespace access would (I think) mainly be weird edge case
> type stuff.  But...

<snip>

>> On the topic of a coherency model for dmabuf, I think we need to look at
>> dma_buf_attachment_map/unmap (and also the mmap variants cpu_start and
>> cpu_finish or whatever they might get called) as barriers:
>>
>> So after a dma_buf_map, all previsously completed dma operations (i.e.
>> unmap already called) and any cpu writes (i.e. cpu_finish called) will be
>> coherent. Similar rule holds for cpu access through the userspace mmap,
>> only writes completed before the cpu_start will show up.
>>
>> Similar, writes done by the device are only guaranteed to show up after
>> the _unmap. Dito for cpu writes and cpu_finish.
>>
>> In short we always need two function calls to denote the start/end of the
>> "critical section".
>
> Yup, this was exactly my assumption.  But I guess it is better to spell it out.

Thanks for the excellent discussion - it indeed is very good learning
for the relatively-inexperienced me :)

So, for the purpose of dma-buf framework, could I summarize the
following and rework accordingly?:
1. remove mmap() dma_buf_op [and mmap fop], and introduce cpu_start(),
cpu_finish() ops to bracket cpu accesses to the buffer. Also add
DMABUF_CPU_START / DMABUF_CPU_FINI IOCTLs?
2. remove sg_sync* ops for now (and we'll see if we need to add them
later if needed)

> BR,
> -R
>
>> Any concurrent operations are allowed to yield garbage, meaning any
>> combination of the old or either of the newly written contents (i.e.
>> non-overlapping writes might not actually all end up in the buffer,
>> but instead some old contents). Maybe we even need to loosen that to
>> the real "undefined behaviour", but atm I can't think of an example.
I guess that should be acceptable for our video / media use cases. How
about other potential users of dma-buf? [I am asking this because
Jesse did tell me that there were some other subsystems also
interested in dmabuf usage]

>> -Daniel
BR,
~Sumit.