    SubjectRe: [patch 1/4] Add routine for generating an ID for kernel pointer

    On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 08:40:55PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
    > > We have the whole crypto subsystem dealing with this. It sure would
    > > be more complex than ^ operator but it's not like you have to open
    > > code the whole thing. Is it really that complex to use?
    > No, Tejun, the use of crypto engine is not hard but it means more memory
    > consumption (one need to carry resulting hashes and print them out into
    > /proc) and more cpu consuption while we really need some fast and cheap
    > solution. Unlike other usage of crypto engine (such as encoding for net
    > layer, iirc ipsec uses it) I'm not really convinced we should use that
    > heavy artillery here ;)

    But the cost would be attributed to the user requesting that specific
    data and given the amount of data to be hashed, I don't think the
    computational or memory overhead should be the deciding design factor
    here. There are far more grave issues here. Userland visible API and

    > I see, I could use some other form of output, it's not a problem. The main
    > problem which interface community prefer, should I really switch to crypto
    > usage or we can leave with root-only+plain-pointer approach?

    I don't know either but if proper hashing (crypto or not) is simple
    enough, this really isn't a tradeoff we need to make, no?

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-12-28 17:47    [W:0.020 / U:15.836 seconds]