    SubjectRe: [patch 1/4] Add routine for generating an ID for kernel pointer
    On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:47:42 +0400
    Cyrill Gorcunov <> wrote:

    > The routine XORs the given pointer with a random value
    > producing an ID (32 or 64 bit, depending on the arch).
    > Since it's a valuable information -- only CAP_SYS_ADMIN
    > is allowed to obtain it.
    > - Tejun worried about the single poison value was a weak side -
    > leaking one makes all the IDs vulnerable. To address this
    > several poison values - one per object type - are introduced.
    > They are stored in a plain array.
    > - Pekka proposed to initialized poison values in the late_initcall callback
    > - ... and move the code to mm/util.c

    I'm trying to remember what this is all about, and I don't want to have
    to remember all the discussion from last time this came up!

    Please, do cover all this in the changelogs: tell us what the code is
    all for and try to capture the design decisions thus far. It's a
    useful reminder for current reviewers and is very valuable for new

    The root-only restriction sounds like a pretty bad one. I suspect it
    really isn't that bad but again, the changelog should discuss the pros
    and cons here.

    A thought: if all we're trying to do here is to check for the sameness
    of objects, can we push the comparison into the kernel so we don't have
    this exporting-sensitive-info problem at all? Just return a boolean to

    Something like

    int sys_pid_fields_equal(pid_t pid1, pid_t pid2, enum pid_field field_id);

    For /proc/pid/fdinfo/* userspace can open /proc/pid1/fdinfo/0 and
    /proc/pid2/fdinfo/0 and call sys_are_these_files_the_same(fd1, fd2, ...).

    Perhaps sys_pid_fields_equal() can use sys_are_these_files_the_same()
    as well, if we can think up a way of passing it two fds to represent
    the two pids.

    Have a think about it ;)

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-12-28 00:27    [W:0.020 / U:10.364 seconds]