SubjectRe: Very sparse and high interrupt map with SPARSE_IRQ
On 12/15/2011 3:24 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
> Have you looked at irq_domain (kernel/irq/irqdomain.c). This is meant to
> support complex mappings like this. Although in its current form it
> needs some work to support this. Is there no sub-grouping of interrupts
> at all?
>
> The hwirq # is stored in irq_data, so converting from Linux irq to hwirq
> # is O(1). Going the other way is implemented per domain and would
> depend on the implementation of .to_irq.

Thanks for the advice. The chip driver houses a number of devices shared
over a SPMI bus. The SPMI bus supports up to 16 slave IDs, and each
slave can have 256 devices. Each device can have up to 8 interrupts.

So this is pretty easy to support with irq_domains if we treat all 32768
interrupts as one domain and allow the chip driver to own the entire
32768 block of interrupts. Each translation is merely a O(1) calculation
as you mentioned. And with SPARSE_IRQ, we only allocate the interrupts
we use on the bus, and so there's very little cost associated with the
large number of interrupts.

Were you thinking of supporting these sub-groups (eg. group of devices)
in separate irq_domains? I'm somewhat curious if there's future work
planned around this area. As it currently stands, it seems like this
would only complicate things.

There is one issue that needs to be resolved in order to support even
one irq_domain with this configuration. The problem is that we allocate
irq_descs dynamically based on Device Tree information, and so
irq_domain_add() needs to be modified to support this. In fact, there's
even a comment in the function regarding this limitation. There's two
problems with the implementation of irq_domain_add() for my usage:

1. It assumes irq_descs are already allocated. In my case, I would like
to add the irq_domain at init time through of_irq_init(). But the actual
descriptors are not allocated until much later.

2. It assumes that every hw_irq is available within the range of
interrupts the domain manages, which is not true in my case. In my case,
they are truly sparse.

Thus I am proposing we have a more simple irq_domain_add() function that
solely adds the irq_domain to the list. Then we can create registration
interface that does the extra initialization for the irq_data of each
specified hw_irq. What do you think about this? I can submit a patch if
others think this is reasonable.

Thanks,
Mike

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum

  Last update: 2011-12-23 03:15    [W:0.035 / U:0.052 seconds]