SubjectRe: [Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC v2 1/2] dma-buf: Introduce dma buffer sharing mechanism
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 03:13:06AM -0800, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On 09-12-2011 20:50, Robert Morell wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> I agree with Konrad, this should definitely be EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL,
> >> because it's really a low-level function that I would expect
> >> to get used by in-kernel subsystems providing the feature to
> >> users and having back-end drivers, but it's not the kind of thing
> >> we want out-of-tree drivers to mess with.
> >
> > Is this really necessary? If this is intended to be a
> > lowest-common-denominator between many drivers to allow buffer sharing,
> > it seems like it needs to be able to be usable by all drivers.
> >
> > If the interface is not accessible then I fear many drivers will be
> > forced to continue to roll their own buffer sharing mechanisms (which is
> > exactly what we're trying to avoid here, needless to say).
>
> Doing a buffer sharing with something that is not GPL is not fun, as, if any
> issue rises there, it would be impossible to discover if the problem is either
> at the closed-source driver or at the open source one. At the time I was using
> the Nvidia proprietary driver, it was very common to have unexplained issues
> caused likely by bad code there at the buffer management code, causing X
> applications and extensions (like xv) to break.
>
> We should really make this EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(), in order to be able to latter
> debug future share buffer issues, when needed.

Sorry, I don't buy this argument. Making these exports GPL-only is not
likely to cause anybody to open-source their driver, but will rather
just cause them to use yet more closed-source code that is even less
debuggable than this would be, to those without access to the source.

Thanks,
Robert

> Regards,
> Mauro

  Last update: 2011-12-12 23:47    [W:1.012 / U:0.008 seconds]