SubjectRe: [F.A.Q.] perf ABI backwards and forwards compatibility
On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Theodore Tso wrote:
> It's great to hear that! But in that case, there's an experiment we
> can't really run, which is if perf had been developed in a separate
> tree, would it have been just as successful?

Experiment, eh?

We have the staging tree because it's a widely acknowledged belief that
kernel code in the tree tends to improve over time compared to code that's
sitting out of the tree. Are you disputing that belief?

If you don't dispute that, what makes you think the same effect
doesn't apply to code that looks like Linux code and is developed the same
way but runs in userspace?

Pekka

  Last update: 2011-11-08 12:23    [W:0.248 / U:0.948 seconds]