    SubjectRe: Linux 3.2-rc1
    On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 06:10:02PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Which brings me to a question I already asked on G+ - do people really
    > need the old-fashioned patches? The -rc1 patch is about 22MB gzip-9'd,
    > and part of the reason is that all those renames cause big
    > delete/create diffs. We *could* use git rename patches, but then you'd
    > have to apply them with "git apply" rather than the legacy "patch"
    > executables. But as it is, the patch is almost a third of the size of
    > the tar-ball, which makes me wonder if there's even any point to such
    > a big patch?

    FWIW, agruen seems to be doing patch(1) development these days; the last
    snapshot has this in NEWS:

    * Support for most features of the "diff --git" format: renames and copies,
    permission changes, symlink diffs. Caveats:
    + Binary diffs are not supported yet; patch will complain and skip them.
    + In the "diff --git" format, all the patches are relative to the original
    state of the files to patch, allowing things like criss-cross renames.
    GNU patch will currently fail for such patches.
    * Support for double-quoted filenames in the "diff --git" format: when a
    filename in a context diff starts with a double quote, it is interpreted
    as a C string literal. The escape sequences \\, \", \a, \b, \f, \n, \r,
    \t, \v, and \ooo (a three-digit octal number between 0 and 255) are

    Hell knows how long until they release it and distros pick the result, of
    course. Their git tree on git:// is fairly
    quiet; there had been a bunch of local fixes since the last snapshot (this
    April) but not much else...

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-11-08 04:49    [W:0.024 / U:31.876 seconds]