    SubjectRe: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)
    On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:14:52 PDT, Linus Torvalds said:
    > On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Ted Ts'o <> wrote:
    > > Note that a repository format change will break a bunch of other
    > > things as well, including references in commit descriptions ("This
    > > fixes a regression introduced in commit 42DEADBEEF")

    > No they won't. Not if you do it right. It's easy enough to
    > automatically replace the SHA1's in the description, the same way we
    > replace everything else.

    OK.. I'll bite. How do you disambiguate a '42deadbeef' in the changelog part
    of a commit as being a commit ID, as opposed to being an address in a traceback
    or something similar? Yes, I know you only change the ones that actually map to
    a commit ID, but I'd not be surprised if by now we've got enough commits and
    stack tracebacks in the git history that we'll birthday-paradox ourselves into
    a false-positive in an automatic replacement.

    (And it's OK to say "the 3 stack tracebacks in changelogs we just mangled can
    just go jump", but it does need at least a few seconds consideration..)

      Last update: 2011-11-07 08:55    [W:0.024 / U:10.576 seconds]