    SubjectRe: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)
    On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:

    > About the ugliness of the merge commit log messages, you have already
    > learned to ignore them with "log --no-merges" ;-)

    Absolutely not. I look at merges all the time. I never use
    "--no-merges" except when I'm doing certain statistics (ie "How many
    real changes do we have") or when I do release files.

    But I actually think it's important that people write *good* merge
    messages. I've berated some people for it when they just have

    Merge branch 'origin'

    in their commit message, because I think a merge commit should say why
    it happened or what it brought in.

    > and the material the
    > patch series I sent out adds are at the end, so "/^commit.*$" in less
    > would hopefully work well enough in "log --no-merges" as well.

    I agree that being at the end helps, but I do a lot of "git log
    ORIG_HEAD.." etc, and I don't do a lot of "/^commit" searching.

    The "/commit" thing I do tends to be because I do "git log -p" to see
    patches, but at the same time am not going to read through
    everything..

    So I'd really like some way to not see it.

    Ted suggested a NUL character in the commit message in front of the
    "hidden content". What do you think?

    Linus

      Last update: 2011-11-05 17:45    [W:0.021 / U:67.124 seconds]